It was a hot day, and we had a great time watching the tiger go for a swim.
On the way home, I took a wrong turn, and we ended up near the National Cathedral. It was on our list of places to visit, so we decided to stop and see it. It was definitely worth it.

Here are a few facts I learned:
- It is the 6th largest Cathedral in the world.
- It took 83 years to build--it was started in 1907 and completed in 1990
- The Cathedrals iconography teach Christian beliefs and pay tribute to our country's history and values.
- The architectural style is Gothic, with pointed arches, large windows and flying buttresses
- Like many cathedrals, the building is shaped like a cross. The National Cathedral's nave is a tenth of a mile long.
Pictures of the interior, with stained glass windows, tapestries, and carvings in wood and stone, did not do it justice.
The view from the 7th floor viewing area is amazing. I can't believe I have lived here for two years and not yet visited. It was wonderful.




2 comments:
I love the National Cathedral! It's awesome. Did you see the Darth Vader gargoyle? I still haven't found it yet. But, I want to find it.
And--I didn't know all those things about the cathedral. Awesome!
Sadly--I have not yet gone to the zoo. I know, pathetic...someday, someday...
what a fun touristy thing to do. You're such a good mom and tour guide!
Post a Comment