"Happiness does not depend on what happens outside of you, but on what happens inside of you." President Harold B. Lee
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Summer Guilt
I took the kids to the library the other day and suddenly realized I hadn't signed my kids up for the summer reading program. This is the first summer since Sarah was a toddler that I haven't had the kids participate in the activities and reading incentive program offered at the local library in whatever community we lived in. We were still there getting books for everyone to read, so I guess I'm not so bad, but I must say that a wave of parental guilt swept over me. Getting Sarah and Rachel to read has never been a problem, and even Ben will sit down and read when encouraged to do so, but a reading incentive program has been a part of the kids' summer as long as they can remember. It is actually amazing to me that the kids didn't remind me about it. Maybe they are outgrowing it. All I know is that we have been way too busy. I heard once that besides reading, traveling is the second best thing in helping children learn. So, maybe all this traveling and sightseeing is good for them anyway. Nonetheless, I sat down and read to Kate and had Ben start reading the next Magic Treehouse book in the series this morning. I guess the guilt should be good for something.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ahhh... guilt. Gotta love it. Your kids are the best readers I've ever seen... so I wouldn't worry. Lizzy is currently into the magic treehouse series as well. They're great.
That's cool! I mean, not that you forgot, but that you usually do it. Traveling IS good stuff too. So, you should totally give yourself props for taking the kids to all the cool places you've gone.
Post a Comment