Arlington Cemetery

We spent one afternoon at Arlington Cemetery. This is such a reverent and special place.

For those of you who have never watched the changing of the guards, it really is a must see. The tomb is guarded 24 hours a day 365 days a year by specially trained soldiers from 3rd United States Infantry (Old Guard). These soldiers are amazing. To even become an honor guard there are strict height and weight standards that must be met. They also have to pass a rigourous history exam on Arlington cemetery as well as have an impeccable past. I read once that they spend 4 hours getting their uniform just right before they are allowed to do their walk in front of the tomb. They have such precision and discipline. It is amazing.
As we watched the changing of the guards, which must be done in silence, Kate leaned over and in a loud whisper said, "Are they just pretending to be soldiers?" I said, "No, they really are soldiers." She responded, "But I thought all the soldiers were dead." We had walked through the cemetery to get to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and explained to Kate that this is where the soldiers who fought for our country were buried. We've also been to several things lately with people in costume from different time periods--Mt Vernon where people are dressed in period costumes and then events of the 4th of July with people dressed as our Founding Fathers. It's no wonder the poor girl was confused.

Also while we were at the Tomb, Sarah asked if David would be able to be one of the guards there. I explained that only soldiers in the infantry were eligible. Sarah then responded, "But I thought Papa was in the infantry. He takes care of babies." Get it--infantry, infants. We all had a good laugh about that one.
World War II Memorial


Vietnam Memorial

Thanks to Suzy for these cool pictures.
More pics from the monuments:
4 comments:
Those are GREAT pictures, it made me really miss the memorials, I love that our kids are able to go to such amazing places in history! One benefit of military life, huh?!
That was interesting about the changing of the guard thing. I've seen it.... but it has more meaning when you understand the level of commitment those soldiers have. Kate's little questions made me laugh. Cute kid.
Nice pictures.
Aren't the memorials in DC beautiful? Yah...they are. :-D
Kate is so clever and I loved the pictures! Especially the one at the top.
Post a Comment