Saturday, August 23, 2008

Sandy Point State Park



Last week we spent a day at Sandy Point State Park on the Chesapeake Bay. We had never been before, but since it is only a 45 minute drive, rather than the 3 hours to the beach, we decided to check it out.
There was a beautiful view of the spectacular Chesapeake Bay Bridge. I love driving across the bridge and looking out over the bay to see all the sailboats. It is one of my favorite views on the East Coast. This time, however, I was glad I was not crossing it, since there had been a bad accident on the bridge the day the day before and it had been closed since then and just re-opened that morning. The traffic was terrible. We played on the beach and watched the cars inch over the bridge.
The beach was fun, but of course not like the ocean. We missed the waves, but the kids still had fun playing in the sand and swimming in the water.
They had fun swimming, that is, until Sarah got stung by a jellyfish. We hadn't seen any jelly fish yet, so I wasn't sure at first what it was, but she came running out of the water screaming. After I washed the sand off her legs and got a good look at it, I could see a big red streak across the back of her thigh. After that, we started looking in the water closer and we saw a lot of jellyfish--probably 10 or so over the next few hours. It was wild! The stinging feeling went away after about 20 minutes or so, but we all stayed out of the water after that.
Kate wasn't really crazy about the water anyway, and instead sat by me most of the time and ate her lunch and played in the sand.

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

That looks like so much fun. I didn't realize there was a fun beach so close. Poor Sarah. I can sympathize because I got stung by a jellyfish on my honeymoon....right before I got so sea sick that I threw up. So romantic I know.

Andrea said...

Looks like a great place! The 3 hour drive was always a tough one for us, we only went once in that year and a half! I guess it's not too great if you can't swim though.