Benjamin and Kate were bugging me to take them to the park this afternoon. I told them I would as soon as I got things partway ready for dinner and at a good stopping point (rice into the rice cooker, meat in the crockpot, etc.) By the time we left, clouds had rolled in and it was starting to thunder. The thunder seemed pretty far in the distance, and it wasn't raining, so I figured we had a little time. The park is right around the corner from our house, so the kids rode their bikes and scooters and we were there in just a few minutes. On the way, we passed a few neighbors on their way home from the park--they were heading home because of the thunder. I think they thought I was crazy to be going, but I knew if I told the kids we shouldn't go, that they would say, in a high pitched voice, "But you promised...." So I thought that even if we had a few minutes at the park before it started to rain, it would be better than hearing them complain. And, if we got a little wet, then it was all the more of an adventure, right?
While we were at the park, the thunder continued to rumble off in the distance, but no rain fell and we didn't see any lightning. The kids played for 5 minutes or so and then we were gearing up to play kick the can. We were standing together discussing the rules when all of a sudden there was an enormous cracking sound and a flash of light. Lightning struck less than 20 feet away from us in the middle of the park--between us and the swings. I have never seen lightning that close! We could all feel the electricity in the air--it was incredible. The lightning hit in an open spot with bark, but I don't think it actually hit the ground since their was no charred spot. The kids all screamed and started crying. I ran and got Kate and picked her, and her bike, helmet, and flip flops up and started running for home while the other kids jumped onto their bikes and scooters and headed for home. We could all feel the electricity in our bodies all the way home--I could feel it in my gums and teeth for a couple hours afterward. It was wild!
We came home and laughed and laughed the kind of laugh that lets out all the emotion and nerves from such an experience. We could laugh because we were all okay. And so grateful to be.
I guess next time, I'll follow my neighbors lead and head indoors during a thunderstorm--even if the thunder seems far away.
7 comments:
wow! that is intense! I was at the fair during the storm...we took cover in some random tent of one of the little fair games...standing in a huge puddle, with cords and electrical stuff all over! we were pretty nervous! or crazy! I have never heard thunder like that. I can't believe you could feel the electricity in your body..that's so weird!
No way! Holy cow!
Was your hair standing on end? I mean, literally. We were told by park rangers at Bryce Canyon that if your hair was standing on end, that you needed to get protected ASAP.
TWENTY FEET? Yikes!
Holy cow that is scary. Not that I want to have that kind of experience.... but I am wondering what that really feels like. Electricity in your teeth? I should ask my Grandma... she was actually struck by lightning many many years ago.
I am so glad you're okay and you were able to teach your children to laugh when you escape a mishap like that. I knew a grown man that was terrified of lightening storms because he was once that close to a bolt too.
You're such a good mom.
Holy Cow!
Holy smokes! I am so glad you guys are okay, that is crazy!! My dad has long since told me, don't mess with lightening, even if it's not raining and just a lot of thunder, come inside! Seriously, that is crazy! Wierd that you could feel it, I can't even imagine what that is like.
That's just freaky!! I'm so glad you all are okay!
Post a Comment