Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ice Skating and Five Guys

At the beginning of the summer, I asked my kids what activities we definitely had to do before summer was over. At the top of the list was ice skating. The kids have been wanting to go ice skating for a long time, so we finally made it to the rink on Saturday. It was a fun thing to do on a hot summer day! We had to dig out the long pants, sweatshirts and gloves.All laced up and ready to go!


This is pretty much how Kate skated.










Ben had the greatest time even though he fell more than anyone. He would just jump up and keep on going!



After we finished ice skating, David talked me into taking the kids and going to Five Guys. Five Guys Hamburgers and Fries is this burger place that David went to once with the young men from church and has been raving about it ever since. Now, burgers and fries aren't my favorite thing, so I haven't been too anxious to go, but David convinced me by saying, "It is kind of a DC thing to do--we should go at least once before we move." Well, of course, that convinced me, so we ended up going. [On a sidenote, I just checked their website, and Five Guys is all over the U.S., so I fell for that one, huh? I think they did start the chain out here in DC, however.]




Five Guys makes a big deal about using Idaho potatoes for their fries. Each day they post where their potatoes come from. We had potatoes from Burley, Idaho.




I thought that was pretty cool because my sister's husband used to be a potato farmer in Burley, Idaho.



They even decorate the store with Idaho potatoes. There were bags and bags set up as a center island for the line to wrap around.

The kids loved eating peanuts there while waiting for our order.

Everyone raved about these great fries! And even I, who don't really care for french fries, had to admit they were pretty good. Way to go Idaho!

4 comments:

Becca said...

How fun! I love Five Guys! However, the closest one to us is about 2 1/2 hours away.

Rebecca said...

I have never eaten at one, although we have two here now. Everyone I know who has eaten there likes it.

Rachelle said...

Aaron is obsessed with Five Guys. Chris Brewer introduced us to it and I'm like you... not a huge fan of hamburger joints... but it's pretty dang good. They just barely opened one here in Utah about 10 minutes away from us.

Andrea said...

How fun! Five Guys is one of Bremen's favorites too. We have one down here in SC, but there's also a really good Thai place next to it, so somehow I always start craving Thai right as we pull up to Five Guys :)