After visiting some fun shops (and finding some really great stuff) we ate at this wonderful Amish buffet called the Family Cupboard in the village of Bird-in-Hand. They had great homestyle cooking and I even got to try some Shoo-fly pie. It was very sweet and delicious--even the kids liked it. They had the recipe posted and it is made from molasses with a crumb topping. Near the restaurant, there was this fun petting zoo.



Next we took a buggy ride through the farm country. The kids had fun petting the horses while we were waiting our turn.



The buggy ride took us through beautiful farms. It was very peaceful.

The kids had fun reaching out to touch the corn as we drove by.

The farms and houses were so well kept, with beautiful gardens and flower beds.



It was fun to see how Amish Life and modern life co-exist. They had these rails to tie up horses on the edge of the parking lots full of cars.



Next we took a buggy ride through the farm country. The kids had fun petting the horses while we were waiting our turn.



The buggy ride took us through beautiful farms. It was very peaceful.

The kids had fun reaching out to touch the corn as we drove by.

The farms and houses were so well kept, with beautiful gardens and flower beds.



It was fun to see how Amish Life and modern life co-exist. They had these rails to tie up horses on the edge of the parking lots full of cars.
As I was there I wondered why America sees the Amish as rather quaint and picturesque, yet looks upon other similar religious groups as strange. The Amish can live in villages and keep themselves separate from society, and it is okay, but when other religious groups do the same thing, they are said to live in a compound and somehow make people afraid. I'm not sure why that is. Any thoughts?
1 comment:
That was interesting. When we visited we arrived in the evening just as everything was closing down so I guess I didn't see how things have been commercialized. (sp?) And about your question at the end.... I don't really know. I've never thought of it before. It seems like the Amish are open about their choices and their way of life. It is clear to me why they choose to separate themselves. With other religious groups... it seems less clear to me why isolation is necessary. I wonder if it is just the not knowing part that makes it harder to accept those kinds of differences.
Post a Comment