
This morning was the real deal. Sarah had to get up early to get ready for middle school. I'm so glad school has finally started since she has been so nervous for weeks. The anticipation is always worse than the actual event--and that held true for today. She had a great first day. She already has a new friend, memorized her locker combination, and found all her classes. When I asked after school her how her day was, she said, "It was AWESOME!"
Rachel and Ben were so grown up this morning, they didn't even want me to walk them to their classrooms, or even the front door. They just had me drop them off in the carpool line same as usual. What a difference a year makes! Last year I had to walk Ben to his line-up at school for several weeks.
Rachel has a wonderful teacher this year for fourth grade and was lucky enough to get her same good friend in her class again for the third year in a row.
Sarah and Rachel shopped and agonized over what to wear on the first day of school Not Ben. He just picked a shirt and shorts out of the door. Last year I bought him nice new clothes, and he never wore them after the first day of school, so I decided to skip that this year.

Ben is starting first grade. When I saw his class list I was sad that his good group of friends from kindergarten were all split up between the different teachers for first grade. He doesn't have any of his good friends in his class. But I think I was more bothered by it than he was. He's such a happy-go-lucky kid that he can be friends with anyone. He told me he found his friends at recess anyway. Ben made a comment today after school that reflected his sentiments from the first day of school last year, "Mom, it was longer than I thought it would be." Ben likes to be home, and six hours of school is just too long for this little guy. But he did also say that he thinks he is going to like first grade even better than kindergarten, so we are off to a good start!
4 comments:
You're such a great mom - the cake and pancakes are a fun idea! I'll have to remember that... Your kids are so cute, I'm glad they had such a good first day of school.
Sa-weet! Sounds awesome.
(And, I want a pencil cake for breakfast too. Since when did breakfast have a dessert?)
They look great for the first day of school~ Dane was just like Ben on his first day of Kindergarten, wearing preppy clothes I bought him for his first day, but never again. Boys are funny that way, cool with wearing any of their old t-shirts on the first day!
Oh I'm so glad that it went so well. What a relief for you. I have to remember to do those first day of school pictures too. Very creative cooking by the way.
Post a Comment