Well, I wasn't ready, but it came anyway. The first day of school. I guess we were ready--at least when it came to school supplies and new clothes and bus routes and lockers. But I wasn't ready for them to leave. Not ready for summer to end. Not ready for the busy schedules, the homework, the struggle of making friends in new schools. Not ready to have them grow up so fast.
But, time doesn't stop just because I want it to. So I put on a happy face and made A B C pancakes, packed lunches and got them on their way. Sarah first to ninth grade--high school. Holy cow! How can it be? She starts early morning seminary this year, which will mean we will wake up at 5:00 around here. I know I am definitely NOT ready for that. Luckily, that doesn't start until next week.
Rachel was next--off to middle school. She is in 7th grade this year. Rachel was the only one not starting a new school, so I suggested to her that this might not be too difficult of a start to the year, especially compared to the last two: 5th grade was a brand new school since we just moved here and she knew no one; 6th grade was the start of middle school. But Rachel informed me that with a different schedule (the school changed from A/B days to the same classese every day) that she was just as nervous. I guess it was way too much to expect that starting school could be anything less than full of drama for a 7th grade girl.
Last out the door were the two elementary kids. Ben is starting fourth grade this year. He tested into the "highly capable" program here, which meant he had to change schools. He was pretty nervous about that, but excited about the new program and the extra challenges it would bring (he has been very bored in school for the past couple years). Ben is naturally pretty reserved and it is hard for him to make friends quickly, so I was nervous for him as I dropped him off. I know how hard new situations are for him, so leaving him in his class was the hardest part of the day for me. But, he has a super great teacher (she came to our house to visit us last week--isn't that awesome!?) and I think he will have a good year after he gets settled in.
Kate is starting first grade. She is also in a new school. I had her transfered so that I could keep her and Ben in the same elementary school. She was pretty sad to leave all her friends, but she makes friends quickly, so I think she will have plenty of friends in no time. Because it is a different school, I will have to drive Ben and Kate every day. Ben is glad not to have to ride the bus, but Kate is sad since that was one of her main social times with all the friends in the neighborhood. I don't get it--I would have loved to never ever ride the bus...(Don't you love Kate and Rachel's cute matching dresses? They both decided to wear them on the first day. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of them together, since Rachel was out the door before Kate was dressed.)
After I took Ben and Kate to their classrooms, William asked for "William's class"? Sorry buddy, not for a few more years. Thanks goodness.




2 comments:
What!?! You have a highschool aged kid? You don't seem old enough for that? LOL. I love the matching dresses. A cute new outfit can do a lot to ease the first day nerves.
Oh I love this post. You are such a good mom!!
Post a Comment