Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Perspective


For three days last week I got up early, dressed up, and left my children sleeping in their beds.  I drove and drove into the big city.  I parked in a parking garage and paid a fortune for parking.  I rode up one set of elevators and transferred to another set of elevators and rode up to the 18th floor.  I worked all day pretending to solve big tax problems for big clients (training classes).  I had catered lunch brought in every day.  I stayed after work one night to mingle and network with the office regulars.  I stepped out of the office and had oodles of fun stores that I could explore all by myself--no stroller, no children--just me. 
It's a different view of the world from atop these buildings. 

A different perspective, and definitely, a different life. 

But, after three days, I was so glad to go back to my regular life.  I love being home with my kids every day.  I don't miss fighting traffic.  (Okay, maybe I miss dressing up a little bit. )  I love working on my own schedule.  I love spending my days with my kids--being there to drive them to piano lessons, helping them with their homework, listening to them talk about their day, and rocking them to sleep. 

I wouldn't trade it for the world. 

(And I know David was glad to go back to work again...although he managed things great at home without me)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

what a nice little break....just long enough to realize what you really love doing, right?! It is always nice to have a reason to get a little dressed up though. Just yesterday i actually thought to myself "could I go all week wearing sweats and not feel guilty about it?"
haha!

Unknown said...

Genius.