She was pretty good at it and has loved it--up until a couple of months ago. She decided she was tired of it and said she wanted to quit. I made her finish out the session, and gave her plenty of chances to change her mind. But she was certain that she wanted to be done. This was a little bit hard for me--Kate had worked hard at gymnastics and excelled. Her coach had recently told me that she had been selected for a more advanced group.
So, I was faced with a dillema. Do I let a six-year-old choose to quit? Or do I make her stick with it anyway, hoping she'll thank me later? Do I make her do it to develop her natural talents?
Do I let her decide all her activities, or do I make her learn things because I think they are important?
It wasn't too big of a decision for me to let her quit gymnastics--I don't really care if she is a gymnast or not, but the question stuck with me. All of my kids are learning to play the piano, whether they want to or not, because I think it is important, and I think they'll be glad they play in the long run (so far so good on this). But what if I came from a family of gymnasts, rather than a family of musicians? Would I have let Kate quit gymnastics at age six? Probably not. And if I came from a family of gymnasts, would I care if she quit piano? Probably not.
I want my kids to be involved with activities they love and follow their passions and dreams--not just mine-- but do six-year-olds really know what their passions and dreams are? Or is it our job as parents to help them get good enough at something to feel success and know if they like it? Lots of things (think piano and waterskiing, and probably gymnastics) just aren't that fun until you get good enough to make it fun. So do we let our children quit before they get to the good part? I don't know for sure. I guess some things yes, and some things no. They can't do everything of course. I guess we just decide one activity at a time.
{I took these pictures of Kate on her last day of class. She was mostly interested in posing for me and I had to keep reminding her to stay on task. But I do love this final picture of her winking at me.}
So... farewell gymnastics. I'm not sure yet if you will be missed. It is on to soccer in the fall.






4 comments:
I just got this book: Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, for my birthday. I think it is going to be great. I have read tons of things on it and several bloggish reviews. Sounds like a book you might like and would kind of address what you are wondering in this post! Hope you like it!
This is always a hard question for me. I guess it depends on the child and why they want to quit and what they want to quit and what they want to fill that spot with instead. Then we decide.
Elaine,those are such cute pictures. Kate looks so grown up in them. About your question... we were having that same discussion at the beginning of the year when Lizzy wanted to quit piano. She was throwing a fit about practicing and I thought maybe it's just not worth it... but in the end I insisted that she keep going and she is now loving it and I'm so glad I made her stay with it. Anyway.... I don't know the answer. It's about working hard and learning to stick with something... but sometimes it's about asking if this is your dream or your child's dream. Hard decisions. Maybe Kate will return to gymnastics when she gets a little older.
such deep questions....and I really don't have any idea what the answers would be. It is hard, especially when you and her coaches see her doing so well at it. She's so dang cute though!
Post a Comment