Sunday, May 15, 2011

Embracing the Northwest

I was talking to a woman a few months ago and complaining a little about the weather in the Pacific Northwest.  There are lots of fun things to do here, but most of them are outdoors, and the weather is really only nice for about two months in the summer time.  The rest of the time it is cold and rainy--especially this spring...and winter...and fall....  She told me that I just needed to get over it, and start embracing the Pacific Northwest.  Go exploring anyway.  Do fun things--even in the rain.  Just accept the fact that it will rain, put on a raincoat, and move on. 

I've been trying.

So, as part of my attempt to embrace the Northwest, we stayed at a cabin for a couple days over spring break.  We hoped and prayed for good weather.  We didn't get it.  It rained.  Not just the drizzle that we sometimes get around here for days.  No, it poured.  And it was cold.  I think that while we were there it got to a high of 42 degrees. 


Thankfully, the camp was prepared for rain.  We played ping pong under the shelter and board games inside.
 And when the downpour lessened, we went outside and explored.  There was this cool giant swing,

a three-story tree house,
 and a lake to fish in.

We had a camp fire for dinner (under a shelter) and roasted hot dogs and made smores.  We were glad the cabin had heat--at least I was.  I finally got warm after being cold all day.  David was pretty much burning up the whole night, since I had been the one to set the thermostat.  I was also glad we had running water since William got sick and threw up all over me in the middle of the night.  Lovely.

The kids loved the triple bunk bed.
 Kate was thrilled she got to be on the top bunk of another set of bunk beds. 
 The next morning was cold, but not as rainy.  We tried archery (yes, that's me),




 and the rope swing.  Almost everyone managed to avoid falling into the puddle. 


David took the kids boating out on the lake.  William still wasn't feeling good and only wanted to me to hold him.  So we huddled under the umbrella and watched from the shore.  I tried to be a good sport, but I was cold. 

As we left, I tried to reflect how I had done.  Had I embraced the Northwest? Had we accepted the rain and had an adventure anyway? 

Well, yes.  I guess so. 

Would it have been ten times better in warmer weather?  Most definitely. 

I guess I still need to keep working.  And praying for summer to come soon!



3 comments:

Janelle said...

This is me. Trying to go outside and embrace the weather and this area even though it's windy and cold and not great most days of the year. You inspire me to keep trying. Camping in WA sounds a lot like camping here...cold, rainy, unpredictable. Good for you for doing it anyway.

Michelle said...

That looks like so much fun! good job!
Cute rain boots (like yours) would definitely help me embrace the rain! ha!

Unknown said...

I hear ya sister. My furnace is still running in the house. I love the boots!