In a few more hours, it will be one week since David left for his second deployment. Four years ago, he spent one year in Afghanistan. This time, he is going to Iraq, for 6 months to possibly 15 months. We are obviously hoping it will only be for six months. We found out right before Christmas that he would be leaving. As much as we know that this always a real possibility for us, it is devastating nonetheless. I had someone comment to me that it must be no big deal to have David leave, since we are used to this. Maybe some people get use to it, but not me, and definitely not my children. It is hard. It is sad. But we make it though and do the best we can.
David essentially stopped working at the end of January. He was able to be home so I could have surgery. We took a trip to Hawaii to make some fun memories before he had to leave. We did as many projects as possible around the house. We had Ben's baptism. We had family visit. We had David home for a few wonderful weeks. He was here when the kids went to school and here when they came home. He took care of the kids when they got sick. He grilled us steaks and made hamburgers for lunch every day. He arranged to get William his 6-month shots on a day that worked for us, and we were in and out in 10 minutes. He put together the swing set. We got spoiled having him around so much. I think it makes it all the harder to have him leave. We miss him. We had tearful goodbyes last Sunday night. But we are grateful for the sacrifices he honorably makes and even more grateful for the country in which we live.
6 comments:
May he come home quickly!
Wow, good luck. That sounds hard. I won't complain anymore when my husbands leaves for week-long work trips.
Oh, Elaine! You can never get used to your husband being gone. As you know, I got a taste of it for 4 months and it was grueling! It's even harder when it's open-ended and you don't know when the end is. I hope there is someone there to give you encouragement, bake you bread and watch your kids, just as you did for me. I hope the time goes by quickly...
I hope he comes home safe and sound! We'll be praying for your family.
You will be in our prayers! I hope that he does come home sooner rather than later.
Elaine! I've been so bad at checking blogs lately, and had no idea that David got deployed! I am so sad, and I am in tears at this sweet little post about his leaving. He's such a good man, and I am truly proud to know him and to have a friend out fighting for our country. Truly. You and your kids are amazing, and I'm sure the blessings will be endless! love you and miss you!
Post a Comment