Tuesday, May 6, 2008

It Doesn't Get Much Better Than This




Today I had the opportunity to go to the White House for a Military Spouse Appreciation Event. I didn't know much about it ahead of time, but thought it sounded pretty cool. My friend Kaelene graciously agreed to watch Ben and Kate today so I could go (Thanks Kaelene!). I had to arrive by 8:00 a.m., so it took some doing to get there on time. I waited in line with some women I know from the Oakleaf Club (doctor's wives) and we got in the gate by 8:30. There was a yummy buffet and we got to visit and enjoy the food and the South Lawn of the White House for a little over an hour. The Marine Core Band was playing and it was all very cool. Then Secretary of Defense Robert Gates addressed us. After his speech, the band played again, but we all waited hushed for the President. After a while the band stopped and the loud speaker announced, "Phil Vassar and his band will now sing the National Anthem." I was totally shocked. I had no idea that Phil Vassar was coming. Okay, now for those of you who may not know, I am a HUGE Phil Vassar fan. Did I say HUGE? I love Phil Vassar. I listen to his music more than any other music. I have a Phil Vassar Pandora station that I listen to a ton. If anyone would have asked me what concert I would love to go to more than any other, I would have said Phil Vassar hands down. So, hearing him perform the National Anthem was awesome.




After the National Anthem, President Bush addressed us. He gave very nice remarks and honored six military spouses who have done remarkable things to benefit children in Iraq and Afghanistan, raised money for the Fisher Houses, etc. He was so nice and grateful to all the military spouses who sacrifice and give so much for our country. It made me proud to be associated with such a wonderful group of people.




But wait...as if this wasn't already so cool...it gets better. Phil Vassar performs again. This time, President Bush sat down on a picnic table right in front of the stage. Phil said something like, "Here I am singing at the White House for the President and all of you. It doesn't get any better than this. I might as well retire now." I agree. It doesn't get much better. At this point I'm seriously so excited that I'm about to cry! I moved up as close to the stage as I could, knowing I will never get this chance again! He sang three songs: "Love is a Beautiful Thing," "I'm Alright," and "American Child." We all sang along, including President Bush.






This isn't that great of a picture, but you can see President Bush sitting in the middle there watching the concert. I'm so close!


After the concert President Bush waved and walked around shaking hands with the crowd. I got to shake his hand. It was very cool!




Then...as if meeting the President isn't awesome enough. Phil Vassar comes down off the the stage and starts signing autographs and posing for pictures. By this time my camera is running low on battery power and I'm so freaked out I won't be able to get a picture. But luckily I had enough juice left.



So, here it is, me and Phil. With his arm around me. Wow! He was so nice. He kept telling all the women thank you, thank you for helping serve our country, etc. I also got my napkin (with a seal of the President on it) autographed by Phil.


I came home and sent this picture around to my family right away, mostly because I was so worried that something would happen to it and and it would get deleted before I could show it to anyone. My brother accused me of getting good at photoshop and creating this photo, but I swear, it is genuine. So cool!


After all of this, we were able to take a White House Tour. I've been trying to get tickets for a long time to tour the White House, so this was definitely icing on the cake. I went once 8 or 9 years ago, but hadn't been able to go since we moved back. Here are a few pictures:





This was one amazing day!

8 comments:

Rachelle said...

That is so awesome. I do remember that you are a huge Phil Vassar fan. That is amazing that HE was the one performing. You are one lucky woman. What an unforgettable opportunity.

The Huguelys said...

What a fun day! Good pictures too! It looks like you had a lot of fun.

Rebecca said...

Wow Elaine!! I am SO glad you have a blog. This looks like such an awesome day! Lucky you!!

Tiana said...

Wow. Seriously wow. Definitely a very VERY cool day.

Andrea said...

Sweet-o! Mark came home last night all happy that you were so happy. :-D

I'm glad your camera had enough juice in it too. ;-)

Michelle said...

okay, you are hilarious. I am so glad that I heard about this day from you in person today at the park. You were like a little kid - you were so excited! I love the pictures! You look great, and its so cool that you had such an awesome day!

Andrea said...

OH MY GOSH! That entry just got better and better! My jaw is on the floor! I'm so happy for you!! I totally would've gone with you~~what an AMAZING experience! After all the sacrifices you've made for our country you deserved it!

Allison said...

WOW! I can't imagine doing something like that. YAY for you. I am going to have to figure out who Phil Vassar is.