Thursday, January 17, 2013

Potty Training Woes

So you would think that after having five kids, I would have learned a thing or two.  Maybe I have, but when it comes to potty training William, I feel like I am at square one.  Nothing is working with this kid.  Nothing.

William will be 3 1/2 in six weeks.  All of the other kids were potty trained long before this.  Sarah and Kate were potty trained at 2 1/2.  Rachel right around 3, and Ben shortly thereafter.  Ben was definitely the most challenging, so I knew that I would have my work cut out for me with another boy.  But, I never knew it would take this long.

I have been talking about it with William and working with him for almost a year.  I have his little potty in the bathroom.  We talk about it all the time.  I beg him to sit on it, and every once in a while he will.  I let him go pick out new underwear for his birthday and we made a big deal about how he was three and big enough to wear them.  It didn't work.  Last February I bought a set of Winnie the Pooh figurines as a potty incentive.  It sat on our nightstand for months.  William finally went in the potty a couple of times, over the course of months, so he earned a few.  Eventually I just gave up and gave the rest of the toys to him.  It wasn't working anyway, and I decided he needed a fresh start.  Plus, I wasn't sure he would even like Pooh anymore by the time he finally learned to go in the potty. I decided to give it a rest for a few months.  I believe that potty training is most successful when the children are ready and that forcing it before then doesn't usually work.  He wasn't ready.

I started working with him again a couple of months ago.  I hoped he was ready.  But still, nothing is really working. 

His biggest problem is fear.  He is scared to death of new things.  Wearing underwear and going in the potty is new and he doesn't like it.  Anytime I have forced underwear on him (and yes, it is forcing every time) he cries and cries until I take them off.  Usually after 30 minutes, I can't take it anymore.  David got him to wear underwear for about 45 minutes yesterday, which was the most success (Is that success?  He still peed in them after 45 minutes...we aren't anywhere close to success...)  we've had thus far, but he won't do it for me.

Once I was at Costco buying diapers.  I told him how they were expensive, and how it would really make mommy happy if he would start wearing underwear so I wouldn't have to buy diapers anymore.  He told me that wearing diapers really makes him happy.  

This morning I turned the TV on for him to watch his favorite show on Netflix, Blue's Clues.  While it was loading we watched a commercial for pull-ups.  It showed a little boy going in the potty and having his "first flush."  Afterwards there was a big parade and it was so exciting.  I told William, "See, it is so exciting when you go in the potty."  He replied back to me, "Mama, it is exciting to go in the potty on the movie, but not in REAL life."  Seriously.

I don't know what to do with this kid.  He's promised me he will try to tomorrow.  We have the Buzz Light Year underwear laid out already.  I'll talk it up all day.  Will he do it when tomorrow comes?  I have my doubts.  We've been through this before.  But maybe one day he'll surprise me.

Oh boy, I hope so. 

2 comments:

Tiana said...

Hang in there! Potty training is the worst. I told CJ that after the last one is potty trained we are celebrating big time. The method that has worked with my three is the pants free one. No diaper or underwear until they really get the hang of using the toilet, and then we slowly start getting used to just underwear, then finally, underwear with pants. I hope you find something that works!!

Julie Zimmerman said...

How about you send him to "potty" camp for the week. Uncle Steve & Aunt Julie will be happy to take him. If only we didn't live so far away! But seriously you could have him stay with Grandma or at a friends house for a couple days and the rule is no diapers allowed. Just having a change in his environment might do it. Maybe tell him that you can't wear diapers at Disney Land. William is so smart, and he seems physically ready.