Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Our Israel Nativities

One of the things we were most excited about this Christmas was getting out and setting up our nativity sets that we got in Israel last year.  After we got home from our trip, we put them out for a couple of days, but then it was time to pack up the Christmas decorations and away they went.  So this year, on the weekend after Thanksgiving, the kids were super anxious to get out their nativity sets.  They got them out before anything else.  I think I was at the store, but they just couldn't wait.

We set them up on the shelves in our family room.

Here is a close up of each of the kids:
Kate's Nativity

Sarah's Nativity

Ben's Nativity

Rachel's Nativity

William's Nativity
Although at first they may look similar, there is actually quite a few differences, namely, the size, the amount of carving, the grain of the olive wood, and the types of stables.  Each child spent quite a bit of time looking at the different nativity sets and picking out the one they loved most.  They each still love their own and claim it is the nicest of them all. 

This is the nativity set that I picked out for me. 
It has beautiful intricate carving and lots of beautiful pieces.  I love it. 

I bought it in this store in the Old City of Jerusalem here:

Don't you love the big BYU flag?  The BYU students frequent Omar's shop regularly.  He was quite the business man. 

 I specifically looked for a beautifully carved one to compliment the set I already had.

This is the set that I got from my friend Karin for a wedding present (she was at the BYU Jerusalem Center when I got engaged and I think she also bought it at Omar's shop).  I have had it for nearly 19 years now, and it is still in perfect condition.  I love this one, with the simple, uncarved faces and beautiful grain in the olive wood.  It has been such a tradition in our family.

These nativity sets are such a treasure.  They truly bring the spirit of Christmas into our home.  I know we will love them for years to come, and I can't wait to see them in my children's homes as they grow up and go out on their own. 

No comments: