Sarah's school has a day-long event to celebrate graduation from middle school. During the day, the students all go to a local fun center for laser tag, bumper boats, go karts, etc. She had a blast. Then they come home after school and spend the afternoon getting ready for a big slide show and dance. 

After fruitless shopping at the mall for a pretty and modest dress suitable for the dance, we finally ended up ordering this one online. Sarah looked so beautiful!
I did her hair all fancy,
and Rachel painted her nails to match.
She met her friends at the school and got a seat for the slide show.
She has a great group of friends.
So of course, we had to stay up late talking after the dance. I found out a few things about middle school dances these days--at least here where we live.
1. Unless you go with a boy to the dance (like a date), it is socially unacceptable to dance with a boy. If a boy asks you to dance and you say yes, then the two of you become an item.
2. If you dance with more than one boy (or a boy dances with more than one girl) then they are seen as "easy" or as a "player" depending on the gender.
3. About 20 percent of the students at the dance went as a couple (I told Sarah she wasn't allowed to go with a boy).
4. Dancing to fast songs is done just as a group, usually of the same gender, not as a couple.
Interesting, huh? So, Sarah had a fun time hanging out with her friends all night, but didn't dance with any boys (which begs the question, what are dances for anyway?)
Rules are not the same for church dances, I've also learned. Sarah went a few days later to a stake dance with her friend and danced with several boys, and still managed to have her reputation intact. Good thing. Navigating middle school can be so tricky. I'm glad I'm done.






4 comments:
Good for Sarah for wearing a modest dress!
Wow, your kids are getting so big! I can't believe that Sarah is going to be in high school next year.
The 8th grade dance rules sound about right, not sure why we ever had middle school dances.
Pretty daughter. Pretty dress. I've been searching the internet for modest flower girl dresses for an upcoming wedding. It surprises me how little fabric is on some of these dresses for young girls. The skimpy little dresses are so inappropriate for that age. But after much searching, I found ones that work for my daughters. It takes more work, but somewhere out there those dresses are still available. You found such a cute one for Sarah.
Sarah looks beautiful. It was interesting to know what the culture of middle school dances are. I remember mostly group dancing, but there didn't seem to be such a stigma if you did dance with a guy. Hmmm... I guess I have much to learn as my kids get older.
Post a Comment