Saturday, May 2, 2009

Caught red-handed (or thumbed)

Tonight after I tucked Kate in bed, I went back into her room a few minutes later to tuck Ben in bed. And guess what I found...

Kate...

sucking her thumb.

Yep. I can't believe it.

Because she had gone months without sucking her thumb, she got her blanket back about two weeks ago (really, she found where it was hidden, so I decided to give it back). She promised that she would not regress to sucking her thumb again. We had a big talk and I told her if she started sucking her thumb again I would take away the blanket--this time permanently. She promised me it wouldn't happen. Ever. And she had kept her word, as far as I knew. I had checked on her while she was sleeping just to make sure.

Tonight when I found her she was half asleep with her thumb in her mouth. The sucking sounds actually gave her away. I couldn't believe it, so I looked closely at her and then reached down and pulled her thumb out of her mouth and said, "Oh Kate." Her eyes popped wide open and she frantically waved her hand in front of her face and said, "I didn't know you were coming in.... Just pretend ... you... didn't see that!" And then she clutched her blanket and begged me not to take it away. I reminded her that she had promised she wouldn't suck her thumb and reminded her that that meant always, even in the middle of the night when no one would see. She told me she never would again and turned over sobbing and holding tight to her blanket.

So now I am wondering if she's been sucking her thumb on the sly all along (she would have had to be very sneaky as I have been on the look-out for wrinkly wet thumbs and other signs of secret thumb sucking, but have seen none) or if this is a first time offense. She was very tired tonight since we were out late at Sarah's play and she was sad because she couldn't find a particular stuffed animal she wanted.

I can't decide whether to be tough and take away her blanket for good, or give her a second chance. She is so sweet and good and was so sad that she had disappointed me. I really don't want to take it away. Maybe I am becoming too soft, but Kate just melts my heart since she always seems to truly want to do what is right and good. David says it doesn't matter if she sucks her thumb in the dark when she thinks no one is watching and that I shouldn't worry about it. Anyone want to weigh in?

5 comments:

Tiana said...

Wow, that is truly a tricky situation. There is something to be said for following through with your word...but mercy as well. I don't know. Good luck!

Michelle said...

I have no advice....I just love the whole situation! I think it's so cute. I know you wouldn't describe it as cute, but it really is sweet...I love that she said "pretend like you didnt' see that!". what a sweetheart!

Becca said...

No advice! I'm trying to get Parker to stop sucking his thumb. He doesn't have a favorite blanket or stuffed animal that he could fall back on. Kate is such a sweetheart though and for knowing that she disappointed you. Maybe give her a second chance!

Jana said...

The image of you catching her and her being so sad and apologetic--it does melt your heart. Sweet Kate. I vote for a second chance--it may have scared her so much that she would lose the blanket that it may have cured her.

Mark said...

Don't give her the blanket back.