Parenting is hard work, and I guess worry comes with the job. So many things are weighing on my mind these days. Here's a few of the things I am worrying about:
Kate is taking an acro dance class. In the past, she has taken both gymnastics and ballet, but we've never allowed her to take both simultaneously. This class seemed like the best of both worlds--lots of gymnastics, but still costumes and an on-stage performance, which Kate loves. However, when I got an email this week about her costume requirements, my heart sank. Evidently, the theme for this year's recital number is "Girls on the Playground." The girls are assigned into one of three categories: nerds, popular girls, and bullies. Kate got assigned to be a bully. I should have requested a change way back when they assigned parts, but I didn't really catch the vision of what the choreographer had in mind. The costume required for Kate is black leggings with torn holes, a black leotard, a black faux leather vest, a high messy ponytail, and accessories such as a spike collar, and spike or leather bracelets.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? A spike collar for my 8-year-old?
I'm not usually the kind of parent that complains. But I decided that this time I would say something. I emailed her teacher and asked first of all, if Kate could switch to one of the other groups since we were uncomfortable with the costumer requirements for the bullies. She responded that it was really too late since they had learned the whole routine and there isn't enough time before the recital to switch parts. I told her that I thought spike collars were not appropriate for little girls, and she said that was only optional, thank goodness. She continued on with an extensive email about how this was all in fun and I should look at it with a different attitude. Is she right? Am I making a big deal out of nothing? I understand the fun of dress up and taking on roles different from who we are, and I wouldn't have a problem if she was cast as the Wicked Witch of the West, so why does this particular outfit bother me so much? I'm not really sure, but somehow I feel like the next step is to have the girls pretend to be smoking or doing drugs off in the corner. It's a slippery slope, and it worries me. I don't want to celebrate (and photograph) my sweet daughter looking like that.
Another worry: Rachel registered for high school classes this week. Rachel starting high school is a worry in an of itself. But when I went to the parent orientation night on Tuesday I discovered that they have done away with the freshman Honors English class. Sarah took that class and learned a tremendous amount and became a much better writer. It was a very good experience for her and I'm disappointed that Rachel won't be able to have that same experience. Rachel is frustrated too--she was so looking forward to being in a class with other like-minded peers, who really wanted to learn and gave good peer edits. She has not had particularly good experiences in her middle school language arts classes, and she feels like eliminating the Honors option just promises more of the same. Why are we dumbing down our schools? I've already shared my disappointment verbally with the principal, but I need to draft a written letter too, to go on file along with some of the other parents.
Wow. I guess I am quite the complainer this week. It definitely puts me out of my comfort zone.
This week I also registered Ben for middle school. Everyone is growing up around here! He's so ready and excited and I am excited for him. But a little worried too, because after all, it is middle school. He took a math placement test yesterday to determine what math class he will take next year. He's hoping he did well so he can skip 6th grade math and go straight into 7th grade math. He also stewed about what electives to take. He didn't really like most of the options, so he decided to sign up for band. However, he already plays the piano and the cello. Can we really handle one more instrument around here? I'm hoping he'll choose to play percussion, or something the school already has on hand, because I don't want to pay to rent another instrument.
I can't leave William out of my worry sphere. I finally got him signed up for preschool, but somehow, I missed the boat, and didn't get him into the one that I wanted. The one nearby, with a morning class, that would fit better into my schedule. The convenient one. Yeah, that one was already full. I've known for months I wanted to enroll him there--why did I not check earlier if registration was open? So now I have to figure out how I am going to fit an afternoon preschool at a location not that close into my already full schedule.
Probably my biggest worry: Sarah. She turns 16 shortly. That is all I'm going to say about that.
1 comment:
I totally understand your worries! Being a parent is so tough. You are doing a great job to speak out to the dance teacher and principal. I usually am too chicken to say anything and I end up feeling awful, so good for you. Bummer about William's preschool. Hope you can find something for him. You have a lot on your plate so don't beat yourself up too much!
Post a Comment