Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Our Dog



We decided to do it.  After years of the kids asking and David and I saying no, we have finally decided to relent and get a dog. Why?  Because this dog seems perfect for our family.  And because I think the kids will love having a dog.  And because we are trying to live our lives with no regrets:  say yes when we can and live life to the fullest.  The yet-unnamed dog is two years old, already housebroken (no puppy training for me, thank you very much!), crate trained, super cute and cuddly and good with kids.  We get him on Friday. 

I'm not under any delusion--I know that much of the dog responsibility will be mine.  Oh yes, the kids will help--I hope a lot.  But much of it will be up to me.  However, I hope that the good will outweigh the work.  I hope that we can love this dog, and he will love us.  That he will greet us when we come home.  That he will sit on our laps and give us dog kisses and share his unconditional love.  And really, who couldn't use more unconditional love?

I've been quite surprised at many people's reaction when I tell them we are getting a dog.  Ninety percent of the comments have been negative.  Why?  I've decided that people must like to dwell on the negative.  I had oodles of negative comments each time I was pregnant too.  Why do we do it?  I'm sure I've been guilty as well.  Someone tells us some news and we immediately have to share our worst experience related to that ("Oh...you are having a baby.  Let me tell you my horrid delivery story..." Or...."Oh, you are getting a dog?  Let me tell you why that is the worst decision ever...") 

So why do people have dogs?  Dog lovers of the world:  it is time to speak out.  Why do you love having a dog?  The good must outweigh the bad, or so many people wouldn't do it.  More than half the people in our neighborhood have dogs.  Tons of people have dogs.  Lots of people have more than one dog. 

And maybe, just maybe, we should start celebrating the good in the world, instead of dwelling on the bad.  Let's be quicker to share a kind word, a voice of encouragement, and more unconditional love to those around us instead of our worst stories ever.  I'm hoping a cute little dog will remind me of that each day.

3 comments:

Jenn Hansen said...

You will love having a dog, most of the time. We have two, they are work and sometimes rather annoying when barking at the neighbors, but we love them and they love us. Oscar is very protective and concerned about our emotions and they both love to cuddle with us. Mostly though, I love the relationship between my children and my dogs. Since Lily was born Oscar would come and lay down next to her on the floor and just stare at her and Lily has always been in love with him. She loves his kisses and wraps her arms around his neck in tight hugs. My girls sit cuddled up with the dogs watching movies and reading books or throwing the ball in the yard for them. I love the bond between my children and my dogs. We will always have a dog (or two) in our family. They are work, but in my opinion they are worth it. Just like children, and husbands, and everything else worthwhile in this world.

Katherine Eanes said...

After years of telling our kids no also, we did it too. We've had our puppy for 6 months and not regretted it once. (She came from a family from our ward who decided they didn't want her after 3 months.) She's almost a year old. The RIGHT dog is always a good thing, and I love her to pieces, as do my kids. It is so nice to have her when everyone is feeling cranky, she helps turn things around. She's more work, but it's like another child, they're a pain sometimes, but you love them and can't imagine giving them away!

Julie Zimmerman said...

I'm speaking up for the dog lovers of the world. We are so happy we have a dog 99% of the time. I'm so happy you are getting a dog! They are loyal, loving and forgiving. It takes something simple like a pat on the head or a ride along in the car to make them happy. Can't wait to come see him this summer!