Yesterday was no different. I had big plans. I wanted to get the whole house clean in anticipation of our upcoming guests. Especially the office, which I never can seem to get to. I had a $10 off coupon at Kohls that was going to expire that day that I wanted to use. I really needed to make a trip to Joann's.
The day started early. Kate had to be at soccer for her 9:15 game by 8:45. Rachel (and her friend who had spent the night) had to be at the church for a YW volleyball game also at 8:45. Sarah had to be at a local grocery store at 8:50 to hand out flyers for the Thanksgiving Basket Brigade (the high school service club that she is a part of helps with the Basket Brigade). I got up and made scones so everyone could have breakfast before heading out the door. David and I split up to get the kids where they needed to go. I dropped Rachel and her friend off at the church and then Kate and I headed to her soccer game. David took Sarah to the grocery store and then stopped at the pet store to get more food for the bunny, since someone had left the food drawer open outside and the food had gotten all wet.
It was Kate's last soccer game of the season. She played really well. At her end-of-the-year party earlier in the week, she had gotten the most improved award. She really has come a long ways this season, and this last game was one of her best. She played goalie the second half and had lots and lots of fabulous diving stops--although this picture isn't one of them.
After the soccer game, we decided to stop at the car wash. The van definitely needed it. After we got home, I decided I should really vacuum it out too.
Now that I was home from soccer, I figured my big commitments were done for the day. I jumped on the treadmill for my daily run, watching the end of Pride and Prejudice that I had started on another run. Then I fixed lunch, and took a shower.
My biggest priority was to mop the floor. I was just getting ready to start that job when Ben got a phone call (a very rare event around here). He talked to his friend for a while and then called me to the phone to talk to his friend's mom. She wanted to touch base with me about her son coming over to work with Ben on making Christmas ornaments to sell at the 5th grade marketplace. I knew the 5th grade marketplace was coming, and Ben and I had briefly discussed what he wanted to do (his plans were very abstract), but this was the first I had heard about any planned activity with a friend. The other mom and I discussed the boys' ideas (cutting ornaments out of Styrofoam) and finally convinced them to try salt dough instead. Ben's friend was going be there in 40 minutes. I decided mopping the floor before two 10-year-olds (and probably all the other kids) made a bunch of salt dough ornaments is probably not a good idea.
In the next forty minutes before Ben's friend came, I intended to get some vacuuming done. However, I was interrupted repeatedly. The doorbell rang twice--first someone was selling something, and second, the primary president came to drop off a card for Kate for her upcoming baptism. Rachel panicked about needing some permission slips for an ice skating activity that evening. A couple more phone calls got that problem taken care of. I hurried the kids along with their Saturday chores. No more house cleaning got done by me. Ben's friend arrived, and we all spent the next three hours making salt dough ornaments.
We made the dough, cut out the shapes, baked them, let them cool, and then painted them.
After that it was a rush to make dinner. Sarah left to babysit. We hurried to drop Rachel off for her ice skating activity. The rest of us went to a friend's house for a piano recital for their daughter.
We got back at 9:00. I hurried to get kids showered or bathed and then to bed.
It was 10:15 before I started mopping the floor. I never did get my bathroom cleaned. Or use that Kohls coupon, or make it to Joann's. And the office is still a mess.
It was another typical Saturday around here.


No comments:
Post a Comment