I mentioned in our fall schedule post that Ben has started playing the cello. This is something he has wanted to do for a couple of years. The timing finally seemed right. He started a few weeks ago with the local children's orchestra. They have a beginners class, so he didn't need any prior experience. It is for 45 minutes twice a week. So far, things are going well. I have been sitting in class with him so that I can know what he is learning, and I can be a better help for him at home. I have been super impressed with the teacher, who took these kids who didn't even know how to take their instruments out of the case, to already being able to play a few little songs. Ben has been enjoying it so far.
On Sunday we went to a beautiful concert put on by the local missionaries. One of the songs was a beautiful rendition of "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" done with a solo voice, a piano and a cello. It was incredible and definitely re-inspired Ben to become good at the cello.
I love the cello. Someone once compared the cello to chocolate--its sound is so rich and full. I think it is a beautiful comparison, and although the sounds coming out of Ben's cello aren't quite so chocolately yet, I'm hoping to hear it for years and years. One day last week Sarah got out her flute, Rachel got out her violin, and they started playing a song together, and figured out the part for Ben to play on the cello when he gets a little better. I love it!


1 comment:
I love the cello! Any chance you could get me the name of that arrangement? (composer publisher) I am always looking for new pieces to play in church.
Post a Comment