When we moved out to Washington, I told David I was sad to leave the beaches. He promised me lots of trips to Hawaii to compensate. We've gone once since we've been here and we'll surely go again. However, this year a trip to Hawaii or an East Coast beach was not part of the plan (I did get to visit the Mediterranean Sea, so I can't complain!). I had been planning a trip to the Oregon Coast, but then an opportunity came available to stay in a condo owned by one of David's co-workers in Ocean Shores, Washington. The price was right (free!) so it seemed like a good opportunity to get my beach trip and introduce my children to a Washington beach.
I was worried that they would be disappointed. After all, Washington does not have the kind of beaches they are used to. You can't ride the waves on the boogie board. Actually, you don't even wear your swimming suit. I explained how it would be cold and windy. They all said things like--"Why are we going?" and "It isn't going to be any fun." They had really low expectations. Perfect.
We were lucky enough to have Erica and Lauren, my two nieces from North Carolina, join us at the beach. They are staying out west for a few weeks. I think they were in shock from the drastic change in temperature. On the first day we walked out to the beach, it was 63 degrees and SUPER windy. It was 108 at their house. But they were good sports and didn't complain about the cold.
Grandma came too and we were so glad she did, although she was not feeling well most of the time we were there.
Since it was so cold and windy that first morning, we went back into town and watched the chainsaw carving they were having as part of the weekend festival. It was pretty amazing to see what they could create. And really LOUD!
We headed back to the condo for lunch and then went out to the beach for some sand castle building. The wind had let up a little. We pretty much had the whole beach to ourselves.
The kids had more fun than they thought they would.
That night it started raining, so we stayed inside and played games. After dinner, we went into town and watched a movie. William ended up getting sick and throwing up all over David (and the movie theater). It was kind of a rough night. He was still sick the next morning, but perked up by mid-day. Which worked out well, since that was when it stopped raining and we headed back out to the beach.
David got a kite and taught the kids how to fly it.
There was lots of time for walking on the beach
And running on the beach. We had races and I ran and ran just because it felt so good (and then hobbled around after I strained a muscle in the arch of my foot since I am not used to running barefoot in the sand. But it was worth it. )
We also headed over to the main city beach to watch the sand castle building contest. It was pretty cool to watch them work.
Later we went back to see the finished products.
That night we went back to the beach again. The sky and sea were so beautiful.
David built an awesome bonfire in a pit to keep it out of the wind.
Then we roasted marshmallows and enjoyed the beach all to ourselves.
After a while, Sarah, Kate (who now wasn't feeling well) and William headed back to the condo. But Rachel, Ben, David and I sat and watched the sun set and played on the beach until it was so dark we could barely walk back through the dune grasses to the condo. I could tell who has inherited my love of the beach.
It was beautiful and we didn't want to leave.
I love how the sky looks in this picture.
I asked them as we were driving home the next morning in time to get back for church if they liked the Washington Beach after all. They answered with a resounding YES! I hope we can go back again and again (although I'm still not ruling out those trips to Hawaii and East Coast Beaches!)














No comments:
Post a Comment