Wednesday, March 9, 2011

An ordinary day

I watched a video recently where a woman who had been badly injured talked about the gift of an ordinary day--how we take so much for granted when we don't appreciate the wonderful-ness (is that a word?) of ordinary days.  So here is a few photos I took one afternoon recently of one of our "ordinary" days.

Here's where we see Sarah these days:  in front of the computer. 
Between homework, emailing her friends, and playing games online, this is where we often find Sarah. 
On this particular day, I caught Rachel working on some paper dolls that she and Sarah have been making for Kate.  I think the making is definitely going to be more fun than the actual playing, but that's just fine with me.  Rachel has also been working on a Doodle 4 Google, that she is entering in this contest
I can't remember what exactly William was up to, but he was concentrating on something.  He loves to sit and read books and often makes reading "sounds" as he turns the pages.  Very cute!
Here is Kate practicing her piano, sitting on one of David's big medical school textbooks so she is tall enough.  Love it.
Ben finally got his turn on the computer.  Ben lives for his screen time.  Whether it is playing the Wii or playing computer games, he will get all his responsibilities done (piano, homework, jobs, etc) quick as a wink so that he can have time to for his "screen time."  We limit the kids to one hour per day. 
Here's a picture of  my new coat rack I got for the entry way.  I am loving it!  It is nice to have a place for everyone's coats when guests come to visit (keep in mind that it rains here all year, so jackets are a must for at leat 10 months out of the year). 
I tried some new cookies that my friend Janelle put on her blog.  These cute zebra-striped cookies were fun to make and so yummy! 
Pretty ordinary stuff makes up our ordinary days.  I didn't take pictures of all the driving around to lessons and practices.  I didn't photograph the dirty dishes in the sink and the piles of laundry.  Those things are definitely a part of our days.  However, I am so grateful to be a mother and have these wonderful children in my care.  I love making a home and filling it with good things.  There are so many difficult things about mothering and homemaking, but it is a blessing to be able to do it--every single ordinary day. 

6 comments:

Allison said...

Sometimes I like the "ordinary" day posts better than the "special" days. I gotta know where you got your coat rack. We need one too, since we wear coats much of the year too.

Andrea said...

Great idea. I need to do this! Always an example Elaine, even states away! LOVE the coat rack!

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the reminder. We have lots of ordinary days around here too. I need to be more grateful.

Janelle said...

Hooray! You tried the cookies. I'm glad they worked out. And now I'm hungry for them again.

I needed to read about ordinary days this morning, as I'm getting ready to entertain kids home from school all day. Already there are arguments and a million questions they keep following me around asking and I can tell it will be a long day. I have a better perspective after reading this and will try to appreciate our ordinary day.

Unknown said...

I love love love this post.

Michelle said...

I love those ordinary kind of things....that's what real life is about. Those cookies look so pretty!