Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mid-Winter Break

The kids had last week off of school for "mid-winter break."  David took the week off so we could spend some time together.  We headed over to Ellensburg for our mini-getaway on Wednesday, and went swimming that night. 

Thursday we got up early for our big ski day.  Grandma had agreed to watch Kate and William so that David and I could take the older three skiing.  We left at 7:30 a.m.  It snowed the whole way, and what was supposed to take an hour and 40 minutes took 2 1/2 hours.  We pulled into the parking lot at 10:00 a.m. on the dot and barely made it in time for their lesson.  We got the kids all set up with their equipment and checked in with their instructors and then David and I were off to ski by ourselves!  After getting our equipment and running into some technical difficulties, we only had time for a couple of trips down the mountain.  I hadn't skiied in years, and even then, I wasn't very good.  So I was definitely rusty.  It was a good thing that the kids were all in lessons because David had enough work just getting me down the mountain!  But it was fun and time flew by.  We picked up the kids at noon, had some lunch, then headed back out to ski.  It snowed the whole day and so the fresh powder was wonderful.  However, it was freezing.  Super cold.  At one point I completely lost feeling in my fingers.  As we were stopped on the side of this steep run, I asked David how long my fingers could be numb before I sustained permanent damage.  He had me put my fingers on his back under his coat until the feeling came back.  (Am I married to a nice guy, or what?)  Of course, once the feeling came back, my fingers hurt like crazy.  So bad.  In fact, they hurt and felt tingly for more than 24 hours.  Definitely the first stage of frost bite.  (David has already bought me hand warmers for next time.)  But anyway, back to the skiing.  After lunch, David and I took one trip up two lifts to the very top of the mountain.  It was snowing so hard and we just kept on going up and up into the clouds.  I'm sure the view would have been amazing on a clear day.  But it was so cold and windy up on the top of the mountain, biting cold--even the used tissues in my pocket froze solid.  I was glad to make it down a little lower.  After the long run down the mountain, we got the kids from their practice time on the bunny hill and David took each of them up the lift for the first time and down the shortest run.  After Ben's first time down, he was doing pretty well, so I took him a couple more times while David worked with Sarah and Rachel.  It takes a long time to get down the run when you fall on every turn, but they each eventually made it down and learned a lot.  After that, it was time to turn in our skis and head home.  It was another 2 1/2 hours home.  We were sore and exhausted, but it was a good day.  Thanks to mom for watching William and Kate for us.  

Here's the only picture I took of the day.

I kept thinking I would take more, but it was too cold to take my gloves off to take pictures. 

Friday we stayed in town and went to the Children's Activity Museum. I figured we needed a fun activity for the little kids since they didn't get to go on our skiing adventure. They loved the children's museum of course.



 William absolutely loved these ball runs.  He played with them nearly the whole time we were there. 



 This cone blows air. The boys loved seeing how high the different kinds of balls would hover in the air stream.


They had a super cute cafe where the girls played for most of the time.




 Ben was even the customer sometimes.
 William found a car to drive.

It is fun to have older sisters to dress you up.
Friday evening the girls and I and Grandma went to the high school musical, "Singing in the Rain."  It was fantastic!  Even Kate loved it and has been singing songs from the show all week.  I was really amazed at what a great production it was for such a small town. 

We got up early Saturday morning and drove home in time for Sarah and David to make it to their fencing class (Yes, David is taking fencing too.  Cool, huh?).  That was the end of our mid-winter mini-getaway.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Wow, that skiing sounds like quite the adventure! I've been wanting to go again (I don't think I've gone since I've had kids!), but maybe I can wait a bit longer, haha. I was reading to Bremen what you wrote about the frostbite. It wasn't to fun for him to hear since he's leaving for the Arctic Circle for a few weeks soon ;)