Yesterday I picked the kids up from school and took them to meet David at the hospital. He had called and said a new batch of flu vaccines had arrived and he was able to save some for our kids. (Last weekend when he took general pediatrics call, he took care of an otherwise healthy 10-year-old that almost died from the flu, so we've been anxious to get our kids vaccinated.) When we were done, David was able to finish up his work and leave with us. Since it wasn't too late we decided we would do some much needed furniture shopping and then go to dinner at the Olive Garden (we had been given a gift card recently that we thought it would be fun to use, which, by the way, is yet another kind thing someone did for us). We did some shopping and then went to dinner. We had a great time. William slept through the whole thing, and our kids were fairly well behaved. They are finally getting old enough that it is getting easier to go out to eat with the whole crew. As we were getting ready to leave, our server told us that our tab was taken care of-- someone had paid for our dinner. Wow! I couldn't believe it! Dinner for all six of us is getting to be quite an expense, especially since Sarah and Rachel no longer eat off the kids menu. Why would anyone do that? The server told us that whoever had paid was no longer in the restaurant, so we couldn't even thank them. David reminded me that he was still in his uniform (I'm so used to seeing him that way, I sometimes forget) and maybe that was someone's way of thanking him (and us) for his service to our country. Wow! I'm overwhelmed by someone's kindness.
I've been with him other times where he was in uniform and strangers have come up to him and thanked him for his service. It is always so touching to me, and reminds me that I should thank others more often than I do.
Yesterday wasn't the only incidence of kindness. We've been bombarded with kindness since we have moved here. The ladies from my ward gave me a baby shower when William was only a couple weeks old. So many women came and generously prepared food and gave wonderful gifts--all for someone they only barely met. Some people I met at the baby shower for the first time. And the week William was born--people brought dinners and helped out in so many ways. The young women from church had a cooking class that week and afterwards brought all the food to me--three large pans of chicken enchiladas, homesade salsa and chips, and cookies. We still have one pan of enchiladas in the freezer, saved for one of the days when I just can't quite pull it all together.

And then there is my Mom who has come over a few times and cleaned my house and dried plums for me and helped prepare meals. And my brother Bob and his wife Jeanette who came for the funeral but spent a day at my house. It was the day after I came home from the hospital and they came and brought food for dinner, made dinner and cleaned it up. Then the next day they took the kids shopping and came home with presents for the baby. Who wouldn't love visitors like that? Then there is my sister Karen who drove over to watch the kids so I could have the baby and my friend Karin who watched the kids when I went into the hospital intially. I could go on and on. People are so kind. Sometimes I think I'm not a very kind person. I don't always think of doing nice things for people because I am so caught up in my own world. I honestly wouldn't think of buying dinner for complete strangers. But now that we've been the recipients of such overwhelming kindness, I want to do better at looking for ways to lift others around me. Just think what our world would be like if everyone was treated how we have been treated and all of us were looking for ways to help others. It would be a different world, wouldn't it?
2 comments:
Wow. What a tear-jerker! I feel the same way about myself. And I only have one child to take care of! This just goes to show that there are still good people on this earth, even with the state of everything.
I forgot your husband was in the military. I often think about my brother Jacob when I hear stories like that. I too am grateful for your family and their service in the military. It's not just the husbands or wives in uniform who sacrifice, it's their entire family.
all of those things are so sweet! What a great ward, and what a sweet experience at dinner with your family, and such a great act of service for your children to witness. For any kids to witness! You guys are so great and we truly miss you out here. I regret not spending more time with you and your family. I'm so glad the ward out there is so great to you guys!
Post a Comment