Wednesday, March 18, 2009

St. Patrick's Day Fun

Today is the day o' the wearin o' the green
Today is the day when the little people are seen
Today is St. Patrick's Day, so if your Irish me lad
Join the celebratin' for the grandist time that ye had

That is a little song that I learned as a kid for St. Patrick's day and we still sing every year. It has another verse that requires dancing around and the kids think it is great fun.

So, I didn't take any pictures yesterday, but I thought I'd post about our fun day anyway. Besides singing our fun song, we had lots of ways to celebrate at our house. The kids awoke to green Hershey kisses left on their pillows by Leprechauns. We had green pears and green pancakes for breakfast. I made green lunches for the kids with snow peas, green jello jigglers and more green Hershey kisses (and a sandwhich thrown in there too). For dinner, I made Irish Soda Bread (I had never made this before and got the recipe from this great food blog that I love--it turned out really good), cabbage, and potato soup. I couldn't think of a good St. Patrick's Day dessert, but the kids picked to have Key Lime Pie. I think they thought it would be green, so I put some green food coloring in it to turn it green anyway. Not very Irish, and definitely taboo for Key Lime Pie purists, but fun nonetheless. St. Patrick's Day is sort of a silly holiday, but it's always fun to break up the every day routine.

No comments: