We also took a trip to Sub-Zero for ice cream. Sub-Zero was on Bob's bucket list, and we were glad to oblige. It was cool to watch them freeze the ice cream right before our eyes. That is some seriously good ice cream.
We spent much of the afternoon relaxing by the stream at the park near my sister's house. The weather was perfect. And the company was even better.
Karen taught the kids the proper techniques for paper boat making.
Then they launched the boats in the stream and the race was on!
It got pretty intense!
We spent the afternoon sitting by the stream and talking about all sorts of things. One thing we discussed was how to help our children be happy in the ordinary days of life. We realized that our lives are so good--we are so blessed--and that without the hardships and struggles people have lived with throughout all of time, our children don't always recognize happiness. Depression is becoming more widespread, even in the midst of our country's prosperity. Karen told us of a story she heard about a woman who consistently tried to help her children and grandchildren identify happy times by saying, "If this isn't happy, I don't know what is." I've thought about that a lot since, and I've decided that I want to try to do this more. Happiness is often found in the ordinary. And I need to point it out.
Hanging out by the stream on this beautiful summer day with some of the people I love most in the world was one of those near perfect days. And truly, if this isn't happy, I don't know what is.
We ended the day with an original 3-act play in the basement by these three.
If this isn't happy, I don't know what is.






No comments:
Post a Comment