Monday, March 3, 2014

Ben's 12th Birthday

My very favorite oldest son had a birthday.  He turned 12.  And around here, that is a pretty big deal.

We first celebrated with a family party.   He chose baked potatoes with toppings for his birthday dinner.  Actually he chose bacon and cheese ("I want lots and lots of bacon, Mom!") for his birthday dinner, and I convinced him to have some potatoes on the side.

Then we opened a few presents.




Ben chose pumpkin bars for his birthday dessert.  And he loved getting to light the candles.  I'm not sure why that is so exciting, but evidently it is.
 Look at that great smile.

 I love this face as he noticed one of the candles went out before it was time.


Then, the next day we celebrated with a few of his friends.  I picked up the boys from school and we first headed to Trampoline Nation.  I think it is 12-year-old boy heaven.


There is a whole room dedicated to dodge ball.  The boys are eyeing it when we first arrived, waiting anxiously for their turn.

Talking strategy.
 Then, GO.
 They would get back in line as soon as they got out.  They played and played.
 Awesome!
After a couple hours at Trampoline Nation, we came home, had pizza, and Ben did a quick clothes change.  His friends were all so nice to sit through his House Concert as the final part of completing his piano level.  He played 19 songs, all but one from memory.  He did great and I am proud of him for his hard work.

 Ben and his piano teacher.
Ben tore off his nice clothes minutes after the concert was over and then we all had chocolate cheesecake pie, Ben's favorite.  Then the boys were out the door for flash light tag.  Later, Ben opened presents, and they watched a movie.
It was a great party.

On the Sunday following his birthday, Ben was given the priesthood by his father and ordained to the office of a Deacon.  It was a special day.
 Love these handsome boys!
 It was a special day.
We were glad Grandma Hales was able to spend it with us, but we sure missed Grandpa.

Happy Birthday Ben!  I'm so glad you are in our family and that I get to be your mom forever.

No comments: