Exactly 2 weeks ago tonight our TV went kaput. Thankfully it decided to wait to die until a half hour after General Conference was over. We only have one TV and our TV is still new--we purchased it almost exactly two years ago. And it was not a cheap TV. It died a few days after the warranty expired. We called a repairman and scheduled an appointment. He came to assess the situation and decided we needed a new part. A few days later the part came in and we scheduled another appointment. He showed up over an hour early when I was gone (thankfully Grandma was in town and was home). He installed the new part and then discovered the new part was cracked. He ordered another new part. I am now waiting for that new part to arrive and then we'll schedule yet another appointment. Hopefully we can get it fixed once and for all. In the meantime, running on the treadmill is getting rather boring. And although the kids don't watch too much TV during the week, they've missed it a bit on the weekend. Our netflix movie is gathering dust on the counter. BYU football games have come and gone.
I know it is just whining, and all just first world problems, but sometimes I get tired of managing all of our stuff. My washing machine is dying, the oven needs repair, and I haven't used my dishwasher since Tuesday. It hasn't been working well and I was tired of re-washing all the dirty dishes--it just seems easier to wash them by hand. We just got the UV light and balast repaired and replaced in the septic tank. I still need to figure out who is going to refinish our wood floor to cover a big burned spot (a whole other story). It just seems to go on and on.
I am grateful for the life I have and the fact that we can have a nice house and live in a great town. I'm so thankful that David works hard so I can stay home with our kids. I am grateful we have the resources to have a TV and a washing machine and an oven and a dishwasher. But honestly, why can't they build stuff that lasts these days? All of these things are under five years old. We work hard and try to buy things that will last, only to have them fall apart. I feel like I spend way too much time finding repair people and managing appointments. Why can't things just last? Sometimes I just want to move to a cave. The end.
1 comment:
I hear ya. At this moment Nate is at the hardware store buying a new fuse for the dishwasher ... which is also quite new and this is not the first time he has had to replace the fuse. Very frustrating. I do occasionally fantasize about selling it all and renting a 2-bedroom apartment where someone else has to worry about the appliances, paint, carpet, landscaping, and all of that stuff ... then Nate reminds me that when we were living in a 2-bedroom apartment (with only 2 kids) I was always fantasizing about a house with a big kitchen and yard. Grass is greener, eh?
Post a Comment