That night was the annual Young Woman's fundraiser for girls camp. Every year they do dinner and dessert auction. Rachel and her friends whipped out these amazing treats to auction off.
After we got back, we had birthday "cake." Grandma requested Pistachio Ice Cream Dessert. She let William help her blow out her candles.
I was most excited for her to open up her present. I had collected pictures and tributes from my siblings over the last few weeks and put together a photo book for her birthday. I'm so excited that it turned out so good! I think she liked it... she shed a few tears.
We all love her so much. She is an amazing woman who has done amazing things in her life. Her impact on us is unmeasurable. Her years of constant love, continuous service, and unfailing desires to do good have polished her into a woman full of grace, wisdom, understanding and love.
Here is what I wrote in her book:
Happy 70th Birthday! I’m so grateful for you! As I progress through the different stages of
motherhood, I find myself appreciating you—and all you taught me—more and
more. I know that finding time to spend
with each child is difficult, yet you and Dad always found a way. The “talk time” you had with us each night as
you tucked us in bed is just one example.
I’m sure you were tired then, after long days starting very early, yet
you gave me individual attention and made me feel loved, listened to, and
appreciated. Growing up, I took for
granted the healthy and delicious food that appeared on the table. Now, I realize how much work it took to get
it there: the planning, the shopping,
the preparation, and the clean-up, all with such love, sacrifice and
service. I remember being very little,
sitting at the old kitchen table. The
other kids had all gone off to school and I think I was probably still sitting
there because I didn’t want to eat my oatmeal.
But I remember watching you in the kitchen. You were working in there, cleaning up or
preparing food. I remember feeling very
safe and loved and happy that you were there for me. Thank you.
Thank you for being there all through my life. You are present in all of my best childhood
memories, like playing in the backyard while you hung laundry on the line, and
going on family trips to Idaho. Thank
you for cheering me on and supporting me in the things I wanted to do, driving
me places, and helping me to achieve my goals and follow my dreams. I am so grateful and amazed at all you did to
make that trip to Russia possible. I’m
sure I still don’t know all the sacrifices made on my behalf, and I know I didn’t
appreciate it fully at the time, but it still means a lot to me. I have great memories of you reading to me as
a child, even as I got older and could read for myself, which has inspired me
to do the same with my children. I
remember one book you read was set in Petra, which instilled in me a desire to
go there one day. I love that you went
with us! Traveling through the Holy Land
with you is one of most treasured memories.
I can’t wait for many more adventures to come!
Even now that I have left home and have a
family of my own, you still serve and care for me and my family in so many
ways. We love having you visit. Each time you come you give countless hours
of service for us. You spend time with
us and still make me feel special and loved.
Thank you. I love you! Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday Grandma! We are counting on many more birthdays to come!



No comments:
Post a Comment