Sunday, April 29, 2012

Spring Break - and dealing with an age range...

Last week was Spring Break.  Since we had a big trip over Christmas, and a trip to North Carolina in February, we decided we needed to stay home for Spring Break.  It was nice to have a break from our hectic daily schedules, sleep in, and spend more time together.  However, it is always the change that is hard--going from being busy to having a lot of free time can be a challenge for some of my children.  I'm finding it is especially challenging to keep older children occupied.  Kate and William are the only ones that really like to "play" still.  The other kids don't really play pretend or play with toys anymore, so instead they either read or want to watch TV/get onto the computer, etc.  It is somewhat hard to keep them occupied, especially when they have (or are supposed to have) limited screen time.  Of course, some of them got together with friends, but that wasn't every day or all the time.  Choosing activities that they all enjoy is definitely a challenge too.  Because of their wide age range--2-15--they aren't all interested in the same outings. 

Kate has been asking to go to the new Children's Museum here.  So one day I decided to take Kate and William to the Children's museum and leave the other three home. When the older kids were little, we went to places like this all the time.  However, it is rare that the little ones get to go.  They had so much fun!










Another day we took a trip to the zoo.  Sarah and Rachel were not interested in coming, so this time I took William, Kate, Ben and Ben's friend, River.
The peacock was showing us his colors.  The peacocks just wander free in this zoo, and actually, he wouldn't let us go down this path.  We had to circle around and go the other way.  Silly bird.


One day during spring break I made all the kids go on an outing.  We went to the Washington State History Museum and the Museum of Glass.  I didn't take any good pictures--mostly because we have gone there before and I am sick of the same pictures in the same places.  (I guess that is what happens when we don't move!)  Some kids liked it more than others, but at least they were places we could all go together--despite the age range.  Does anyone else have this trouble--trying to keep kids of different age ranges happy when they have such different interests?


No comments: