"Happiness does not depend on what happens outside of you, but on what happens inside of you." President Harold B. Lee
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Public vs. Private?
I'm thinking of making this blog private. I've been going back and forth on this ever since I started a blog. Mostly, I use this blog as our family's journal and a place to put all the zillions of photos I like to take. So, it really is for me. And probably boring to everyone else. But...since it is on the Internet and available to everyone, that can be a little scary. I'm not even sure who all reads it. Sometimes, I don't put everything on I want to for that reason. So, I'm thinking of going private. Anyone want to weigh in? Is there a good reason I should keep it public?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I love being private. I can say what I want and I know who can read it. Only 100 readers are even allowed.
This has always been my big debate, too. I keep mine public mostly for my mom who says she won't be able to figure out how to sign on if I go private. Lately my answer has been to stop putting on personal pictures, and to write less about our personal lives. But sometimes those are the best stories. You can go private, as long as you invite me. I'm not bored by your life. :)
one good thing about it being public is that it shows up in "google reader" every time you've done a new post. Otherwise people never know if there is a new post unless they check themselves. (which I'm sure some people do). I just always forget to!
oh, I am also not bored by your life.
I've been debating this myself. I know that I have a hard time asking people to let me read their blogs when they are private so I worry that friends who read now won't ask for permissions. But at the same time I want to protect my family.
Me too. I've also been thinking about this. Especially lately as I am creating some more public blogs and people can easily find my family blog from the blogger profile. The main reason I don't is the same as a lot of other people and that is that it doesn't automatically inform people in blogger or their reader when there is a new post. I am negligent in checking one of my best friends blog for this exact reason. I have another friend, though, that has an extra blog for this reason. Every time she posts on her private blog, she posts on the other blog saying to check out her new post. I like that idea. Mostly I just haven't gotten around to making a decision. I'll be interested to know what you decide.
I'd make it private if I were you. Just to protect your family from all the crazies, but then again, I'm paranoid!
I am private, and I've been for a few months now. I just didn't want every to get a hold of our pictures.
No!! Don't go private. Okay.. it's your choice. But everyone is going private and then I don't get them on google reader and I almost never check if there not on google reader. I guess I must be naive or something, but I don't really get why public blogs are scary. What is someone going to do with pictures of Lizzy's birthday party? Maybe if someone explained it to me... I'd go private too. the only thing I have done is avoided using our last name in the blog so that it isn't easy to google search for us. I only do that for Aaron's sake because I can see that it would be unprofessional for a patient to be able to find a blog about their doctor... but otherwise.... I'm not sure I get the concern.
Post a Comment