Friday, June 20, 2008

Tennis Debut

The weather has been fantastic here, and we have really been trying to take advantage of the sunny days with low humidity. We've had swimming lessons all week (and again next week), played at the park, weeded the garden, played in the sandbox, and just enjoyed being outside.

Yesterday I took the kids to play tennis. Ben has been asking for a tennis racket for months, so the other day I was feeling generous and decided to get him one. (The girls got to go to an art class, and I was feeling bad that he didn't have a fun activity to do). Yesterday morning was beautiful and we headed over to the tennis courts at the park near our house. I realized as we were leaving that buying one tennis racket was sort of pointless, so I grabbed a racket ball racket to make due. Sarah decided she wanted to learn to play as well, so they started out hitting balls against the wall while Rachel and Kate played on the playground. Then I showed them some basics. Me teaching the kids to play tennis is sort of like the blind leading the blind, but some of what I learned from tennis lessons as a child came back. We had a great time and the kids all improved--Rachel even tried it too. Sarah and Ben are both really excited about it and want to take lessons, so now I'm on the hunt for some lessons for them this summer or most likely fall (since everyone is so high strung around here and signs their kids up for summer activities in February). And of course, we'll be off to the store soon to buy a few more rackets.



Kate was our little ball girl--running all around the court retrieving the balls.

2 comments:

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Bonus! Having a ball-girl is fabulous.

I've sadly forgotten every bit of information and skill I learned in my BYU tennis class. *sigh* Oh well...

Jenn Hansen said...

That is fantastic! Tennis is a great sport, your kids will love it! And Kate as the ball girl is just priceless.