Friday, November 22, 2013

Irony

Ben made it through an entire football season fairly unscathed.  But a few days after the season ended Ben managed to dislocate is elbow and get a small fracture in his arm while doing the dangerous activity of.....

clearing the table.

Yep, you read that right.  Ben was doing his dinner jobs and clearing the dishes off the table.  But, football was over and he had some extra energy, so decided it would be a good idea to run around the table and through the family room between each trip with the dishes.  On one such side trip, he jumped up on the ottoman, but only caught the corner.  It flipped over, and down he went, catching all his weight on his right arm.  He came up screaming, his arm hanging in a very unnatural way.

I was not home for this.  I was at the high school for a band booster meeting.  Luckily David was home and took him straight into the hospital for x-rays and a reduction. They were gone several hours.

Ben wore a sling for a week.  After that he was supposed to start using it some.  But it has been a slow recovery.   During that week it was no piano, no cello, no orchestra, no euphonium, no PE, not to mention any other sports.  It was a rough week.  Since then it has gotten a bit better--he can now eat and write with his right hand and play the piano again,  but still no PE or orchestra.  We are all hoping it will continue to heal so he can have full use of his arm again. 

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Oh that is awful. I have heard of kids falling off the couch or bed and breaking their arms or wrists, but to have it happen just seems wrong. At least he wasn't in a sling for football. I miss your family! I forget sometimes to check in on your blog, but when I remember I am always reminded of how great you guys are. Kate is really growing up to look like Sarah to me. Lucky kid. They are beautiful.