Martin's Cove is near Devil's Gate and the site of a visitor center about the handcart pioneers. It is truly in the middle of nowhere.
Devil's Gate, WyomingFirst we went through the visitor's center and learned about the pioneers' amazing experiences as they crossed the plains with handcarts and then got stuck in an early snowfall near Martin's Cove. So many of them died. Their stories of courage during such an awful experience were truly awe inspiring.
Then it was our turn to be pioneers. We got to pick a handcart and we were off. The kids thought it was great fun at first--I even got to ride for a while.
But as the journey wore on, everyone got tired and they decided that maybe our air conditioned van with comfy seats and a DVD player was a really great way to travel across the country.


Eventually I got out and walked too--it got to be so jolty in the handcart I could see why so many woman went into premature labor on the trail. I decided it was in everyone's best interest not to re-enact that particular event.
We left Martin's Cove in the early afternoon and drove the rest of the way to Blackfoot, Idaho that evening. We were so happy to get to Grandma and Grandpa's house!
1 comment:
I did Mt. Rushmore and Martin's Cove in the same trip once w/ my parents. Isn't Martin's Cove so sad? If you heard the story about the teenage boys that helped carry people across the freezing cold river, one of them (Kimball) is the ancestor of my grandma's neighbor. Just thought I'd feel cool by telling you that! haha! miss you! I want to see pics of your house!
Post a Comment