Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Basketball


Ben has been playing basketball this winter. Since David is the assistant coach, he has taken Ben to all his games and practices while I've stayed home with the other kids. Well, this last weekend David was out of town so we all went to Ben's game. It was a pleasant surprise! Keep in mind that his team consists of 12 first grade boys. The season consists of 4 practices and then 4 scrimmages. It is pretty low-key. This was his second scrimmage. I honestly didn't have that high of expectations that they could even keep a scrimmage flowing. But WOW! These kids could play basketball. They understood the game and it flowed well. The referee was fantastic and since it was all about learning, if there was some kind of violation (traveling, double dribble, etc) she would stop the game, explain what they had done wrong, and give the ball back to the child who had been guilty of the violation and let them try again. It was wonderful! I was amazed at their ball handling skills and understanding of the game at such a young age.
And of course, I was totally impressed with Ben. He played point guard for much of the game and did a great job. Way to go Ben! I love to see him play his heart out!

5 comments:

Becca said...

Yeah Ben and yeah for basketball!

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Brilliant! Good job Ben!

Andrea said...

Go Ben!!! Lexi just got Kate's valentine...so cute! Thank you. Lexi LOVED the pictures and said "I miss Kate!" after a few minutes :(

Julie Zimmerman said...

Way to go Ben. Jacob can't wait to play basketball with you.

Karin said...

How fun having a boy! It's so fun to see him so grown up and such a great athlete.