Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Sarah's 18th Birthday Adventures


Sarah's 18th birthday fell on the Friday of Spring Break.  To celebrate, I planned a surprise day for the two of us to spend together.

After strawberry waffles with the family, Sarah and I drove to Seattle to start our adventure.  Our first stop was this very adorable cupcake shop in downtown Seattle.  Sarah was very confused since it was only 10:00 a.m.  But it was our very first stop on a Seattle's Chocolate Indulgence Tour--the first surprise of the day.

The chocolate tour was amazing.  We tasted amazing chocolate and learned all about how chocolate is made.  We became quite the chocolate experts!

Our first sample was a mini chocolate cupcake.

Since it was her birthday, Sarah's got a candle.

I wanted to try all the cupcakes, but we had to stay focused on our task at hand, and keep our palettes tuned to the taste of chocolate.

I took this picture for Kate.

Our next stop was the Chocolate Box.  This is a cute chocolate shop where we learned all about the way chocolate is made.  We tasted lemon pepper white chocolate and some stone ground chocolate made without an emulsifiar.  


Third stop:  The Dahlia Bakery.  Here we had some amazing white chocolate coconut cream pie.  It was so incredible.  And I don't even like coconut.



Our tour guides were so interesting.  We learned a lot about the history of the Seattle, the local  restaurant scene and the history of chocolate.

Our next few stops were in Pikes Place Market.
We tried some Columbian Drinking Chocolate in 1 ounce shots.  It was spicy (they add cayenne pepper) warm and rich and one of my new favorite things.  I can't wait to go back and get it again.  Especially on a cold drizzly Seattle day.
At Indi Chocolate we sampled chocolate orange lotion (it made my hands smell amazing for two whole days)
plus tasted whole roasted cacao beans.  It had a chocolatey nutty flavor, not sweet, but not bitter.  Because the cocoa butter is still in the bean, it isn't bitter like cocoa.  

 I loved this cute sign there.
 I love this cute girl!

Our last stop was Fran's Chocolates located in the Four Seasons Hotel.  How can anyone be unhappy in a place like this?  Notice the picture of the girl on the wall?  It was a photograph of a mosaic all made of chocolates.  
 We tried several kinds.  I think this might have been my favorite.
In total, we tried 15 chocolate items. It was all so amazing and high quality that we didn't feel sick when we were done.  Just full, and very very happy.  :)

We went in search of the bathroom in the hotel and came upon this beautiful piano in a room with a beautiful view.

 Sarah played some of her more lovely pieces for a few minutes.


Since we were so close, we had to stop and get some Ellenos greek yogurt.  This has become a new must-do, every time I am in Seattle.  Even now, while I am writing this, I am craving Ellenos.

Best. Stuff.  Ever.



We left Seattle and made a stop at the South Center mall and did some shopping.  No pictures, just lots of great shopping.

Our last stop for the surprise day was a pedicure appointment.  This was a first for Sarah (and only the second pedicure for me) so it was a fun splurge.



We came home to birthday dinner that David had made and she got to open her presents.




Grandam Hales gave her this apron that her mother, Great Grandma Whyte, had sewn.  
Some of Sarah's friends joined us for cake .

Happy happy birthday to our Sarah.  You've grown up into an amazing young woman.  We are so proud of you and the good choices you have made and our making.  You are beautiful and talented and are going to do amazing things!  We love you so much!

No comments: