Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Trek

Rachel had the opportunity to go on Trek this summer with the youth from our stake.  David also went as the doctor for the group.  This 5-day re-enactment of the Mormon Pioneers trek across the plains is done once every four years.  Youth ages 14-18 participate.  It is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.  (Sarah was still in Europe and unfortunately missed out on this wonderful opportunity.)  They dress in pioneer clothes, leave behind electronics and modern conveniences, and walk several miles pushing handcarts each day.  The sleep on the ground under the stars or under tarps.  They push themselves like they never have before.  They develop friendships and learn amazing things.

Since I didn't go, I obviously didn't take any pictures, but the group had a photographer that went along.  Credit for these beautiful photos go to Rebecca Davidson.  She took lots of pictures, but I went through and found the ones that Rachel was in to include below.  Plus a few others to try to tell the story.  Rachel and David aren't the biggest talkers, and I didn't get a lot of details about trek from them, so I loved seeing all of these pictures.
Leaving the stake center to board the buses

And they are off!


David helping them prepare their medical supplies








Rachel's pioneer family



 I can't get over these amazing pictures.






Reaching Zion









No comments: