Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mt. Nebo, Jaffa and Tel Aviv

Sunday, December 18, 2011

After another great breakfast (the food was really good in Jordan), we checked out of the hotel and drove to an old church that displayed 3rd century AD mosaic of the Holy Land.  Next, we headed to the "bazaar" for some shopping.  Instead of a bunch of open air shops like I had imagined, it was a school for the handicapped where they made mosaics.  The mosaics were really spectacular, but also super expensive.  There were lots of beautiful, but very expensive painted dishes, eggs, etc.  I really wanted some Petra souvenirs, and was very upset when there were only a few lame magnets and other small things--nothing at all like I wanted.  I was so excited to go to Petra and knew I would never go back--I could never get something from there again and that was why I was so disappointed.  Normally in situations like that, I just buck up and move on, but I was furious that the tour guide had told me yesterday not to buy anything at Petra, that I would have ample selection here at the bazaar.  So I told him so.  I figured he really needed to know that I was upset, so that he wouldn't tell future groups not to do their shopping at Petra.  I later learned that the guides get a percentage from sales in shops like that, so that is why they take us there.  He talked to the owner and they rounded up all their lame Petra souvenirs.  I eventually decided on a small blue plate--it wasn't what I really wanted, but I figured it would have to do.  We were all ready to leave, but couldn't find the tour guide anywhere.  We waited and waited.  Eventually, the bus driver returned and we were able to board the bus.  Soon after the guide arrived.  He was out of breath and had his arms full of stuff.  Evidently, he had gone somewhere else (not sure where) and come back with an armful of Petra souvenirs, which he gave to me.  He told me they were gifts to make me feel better.  It was a very nice gesture, and I thanked him.  But I still wish I would have just bought what I wanted when I saw it.  Lesson learned.  You never know if you will have the chance again.

Our next stop was Mt. Nebo.  This is the spot where Moses was shown the promised land. It had amazing views all the way around.  On the top was a metal replica of the staff of Moses he held up to heal the children of Israel. 


On Mt. Nebo--A representation of Moses' staff that he held up to heal the children of Israel

View of the Holy Land from Mt. Nebo

View of the Holy Land from Mt. Nebo with a sign showing distance and direction of the cities.
 Most people believe that Moses was buried here on Mt. Nebo.

After we left Mt. Nebo, we drove west to the border crossing from Jordan into Israel.  Once again, we gathered up our suitcases and went through major security.  Once again, William screamed because I wouldn't let him pull his suitcase.   It was lovely...not.  Security was especially tight at this border coming into Israel.  We had to take off belts, glasses, etc.  Rachel, with a big luggage cart full of suitcases, ended up being last in line to come through one of the checkpoints.  She had to wait a while before she could come through and she couldn't see any of the rest of us, and she got really panicked.  I could see her--I was just a little farther ahead, but it was scary for her--and rightfully so--to think she was getting left behind. 

We eventually met our new tour guide and boarded a new bus.  David had to leave his passport behind for a bit so he could bring the luggage cart all the way to bus, but we were able to get it back and get on our way.  Israel was much cleaner than Jordan, and definitely more so than Egypt.  There wasn't any more garbage in the streets, and things were more kept up.


We drove two hours to Tel Aviv.  At this point it was about 5:00 p.m., and we were hungry and tired.  But, we just stopped briefly at our hotel to use the restrooms, and then we were back on the bus.  We met an additional 11 people who joined our tour of 16 that had been together since the beginning.  Egypt and Jordan were sort of a 'pre-tour' and so now the rest of the group joined us for the Israel portion.

We drove a short distance to Jaffa (Joppa).  This is the old port where Jonah tried to flee from when God called him to go preach in Ninevah.  In the New Testament, Peter healed a woman named Tabitha in Joppa, and it was there that he had the vision that the gospel should be spread to all people (gentiles).  Now, Jaffa is artistic neighborhood in Tel Aviv, that has been redone by artists, who were directed to preserve the historic buildings as much as possible. 
Whale fountain in Jaffa reminding us of the story of Jonah.
We took a night walking tour through the neighborhood.  It was beautiful.  I love the old style of architecture and the old stone roads.  It was a nice evening, and quite nice for a stroll. 

 William had pretty much had it for the day, so here he is playing David's phone to keep him happy.  My mom is in the background.
We saw this beautiful church, called St. Peter's.  Inside was a mural of Peter's vision of the sheet and the animals directing him to take the gospel to all the world.  Usually, the church is closed this time of night, but they were practicing for a Christmas program, so we got to in, but no pictures were allowed. 
 We had a fantastic view of the Mediterranean coast and sky line of Tel Aviv. 

After a late dinner back at the hotel, we tucked the kids in bed and David and I were able to sneak away for a walk on the beach.  I took my shoes off, and walked along the cold sand of the Mediterranean.  Ah...I love the beach!  I couldn't come all this way without at least touching the Mediterranean. 

 The next morning we had this view of the Mediterranean outside of our hotel window with Jaffa

 This was the view of Tel Aviv the other direction.  Tel Aviv was a vibrant, clean, modern city. 

No comments: