Friday, July 8, 2011

Pictures from Savior of the World

Being a part of the cast for the musical of Savior of the World was an amazing experience.  We started practicing back in April, ususally twice during the weekend.  By June, it totally dominated our lives.  The week that school got out we had dress rehearsals Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, and then four performances on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.  We were gone from about 4:30 p.m. until 11:00 each night and then all day on Saturday.  It was exhausting.

But it was a wonderful experience.

The play tells the story of Jesus's birth in Act 1, and then the Resurrection in Act 2.  The music is wonderful. The script is well done. The cast had some amazing talent.  The sets were wonderful.  It really all came together at the end.

I was in the chorus, which meant that I was on stage for several of the musical numbers, sang off stage for several more, and took turns being an angel throughout the play.  I actually had very little downtime during the performance since I had so many costume changes (back and forth between my Jewish robe and angel robe). Sarah and Rachel did all of those same things, but then also had the parts of "Mary's cousins" which meant they did a dance during the betrothal scene. 

Here are lots of pictures.  This first one is of the opening song.  I am wearing a light green robe with a navy blue head scarf and I am second from the left in this picture.


 Sarah dancing in the betrothal scene.

 Singing at the wedding.  I am behind the microphone.
 Mary and Joseph at the wedding under the canopy.
 You can see Sarah in this one, wearing a blue robe on the far left.
 The shephards seeing the angels.
It was amazing to sing with angels to celebrate the birth of the Son of God.  Sarah was on stage for that scene, but Rachel and I got to march up the center aisle singing an amazing "Glory to God on High!"  It was powerful!

Here the Savior is appearing to the Twelve apostles.  The man who played the Savior (the audience never sees his face) has a wonderful voice.  The first time Sarah and I heard him speak, we both gasped because he sounds just like the voice of the Savior in the recording played at Temple Square. 
 On stage for the fiinale.
 Rachel's in the pink robe on the left.
Back stage getting make-up on before the show.  I french braided several girls' hair for each dress rehearsal and performance.


 Here's our director, ready to give us performance notes. 
Another couple shots of the finale.  I love the look on Rachel's face in this first one.  Can you find me in the second one?


 Let's look a little closer.
The reason I got involved with this show is because Sarah and Rachel wanted to do it, and I figured if I would be driving them to all the rehearsals, I might as well just be in the chorus anyway.  I know they had a wonderful time.  I'm glad they got to do it.  And, I'm glad I got to share it with them.  We had some wonderful experiences together.  We still sing the songs we learned together (of course, Ben and Kate know them by now too!)  I love this picture of us together, taken after the very last performance.


Here's all the angels
and the group of Mary's cousins.
Come Lord Jesus, Great Redeemer
Light of Morning from the East
We will be Thy children ever
Dry our tears all weeping cease

Come in glory to the earth
Come to us to rule and reign
Ready us to kneel and greet thee
Come, Lord Jesus Come.

--Finale, Savior of the World.

1 comment:

Becca said...

Awesome! I had an opportunity to do a production like this in Idaho Falls. It was wonderful and such a testimony builder!